Spread the word--Zahir Belounis

"I feel like a hostage.""Life has become a nightmare for me, my wife and my two small daughters. I try to be the best daddy I can but after I tuck them in at night, I go to bed and cry like a baby." --Zahir Belounis 

Zahir, a French-Algerian footballer (soccer player), has been stuck in Qatar for two years after a contract dispute with his club. The country will not let him leave until he drops a lawsuit against his club for two years of unpaid wages.



He has no money and is trying to feed his family while keeping his hopes up. His family may be asked to vacate soon.

He was told he could leave earlier this fall, but is still in Qatar. 

Reporters who have talked to him say he is growing increasingly despondent.

The World Footballers' Association is trying to get involved. Please, spread the word! Tweet other players and journalists! Sign a petition! Make noise about this so Zahir can come home.

(Also on my other blog, Word Vomit)

0 comments: